Originally conducted by Julia as a Facebook Live for a Cake International virtual event in March 2021, this two-hour and 17-minute recorded demo shows how to create a stunning, completely edible heart-shaped cookie box, perfect for filling with more treats for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or almost any other special occasion. This project is a great intro for those just starting to dabble in 3-D cookies, though more advanced decorators will certainly find valuable lessons in it as well.
Once you’ve purchased, you’ll automatically receive a receipt with a link to a downloadable handout, including three recipes, sources, and extensive technique tips. Then, simply return to this page to view the tutorial as often and for as long as you like. The sneak peek video above will disappear and be replaced with the full-length video. Just remember to log into your account in order to view.
Skill Level: All, though particularly suited to those just beginning in 3-D cookies
Video Format: Recording of live Facebook demo by Julia; unedited, complete with student Q&A
Video Length: 2:17:15
What You’ll Learn (11 Techniques):
- Dough modifications for contoured cookies
- Contoured cookies (how to shape and bake 3-D hearts)
- Molded cookies
- Dipping (vs. flooding) contoured cookies
- Basic royal icing transfers
- Sprayed metallic treatments
- Perfect peak-free dot work
- Modeling chocolate ribbons and bows
- Application of dimensional elements (ribbons, bows, and compound cookie, aka cookie-on-cookie)
- 3-D sandwiched assembly
- Airbrushed and stenciled fondant appliqués (box liner)
What You’ll Receive:
- Forever-access to class video recording on this site
- Detailed 20-page tutorial handout including:
- recipes for gingerbread, royal icing (with consistency adjustments for dipping, dot work, gluing, and more), and modeling chocolate
- cookie and royal icing transfer quantities and dimensions
- supply list with online sources
- extensive technique tips
- inspiration images
- Access to Julia via email or Superpeer for tutorial Q&A (at any time, though please allow 48 hours for a response)
Class Outline (Video Time Stamp):
- Class countdown (0:00 – 0:05)
- Thanks-yous and class housekeeping notes (0:05 – 1:55; fast-forward, if you like)
- Project introduction (1:55 – 4:33)
- Cookie overview (4:33 – 7:14)
- Shaping and baking contoured heart cookies, also molding button cookies (7:14 – 27:59)
- Filing and dipping heart cookies (27:59 – 45:52)
- Removing button cookies from molds and trimming (45:52 – 55:19)
- Royal icing transfer prep (55:19 – 1:02:17)
- Spraying and assembling button cookies (1:02:17- 1:08:20)
- Perfect peak-free dot work (1:08:20 – 1:11:37)
- Decorating heart box top, including chocolate ribbons and bows (1:11:37 – 1:43:52)
- Assembling and decorating heart box bottom (1:43:52 – 1:52:27)
- Finishing box inside with airbrushed and stenciled fondant appliqué (1:52:27 – 2:06:14)
- Q&A and closing remarks (2:06:14 – 2:17:15; Julia’s special offers no longer apply)
Video Production: Julia, via Facebook Live. Again, this class is a recording of a live online demo, so production value will vary throughout the video depending on internet conditions at the time. It is also unedited, complete with student interactions, Julia’s “um”s and bloopers, and even a brief false start! But, Julia’s crystal-clear teaching style shines through, and there are some great lessons in the student Q&A, so don’t skip past!
Purchase Agreement: Julia M. Usher and Julia M. Usher, LLC are the sole copyright owners of all tutorial videos and handouts. In purchasing this material, you acknowledge that you will use it only for the purposes of learning and personal growth. Reproduction, distribution, resale, and/or any other use of these materials for financial gain are strictly prohibited.
Julia’s Return Policy: Due to the online nature of this tutorial, all sales are final.
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.