This 40-minute, never-before-released YouTube tutorial is now available exclusively on Julia’s site. In it, she demonstrates how to make stunningly realistic dimensional poppy cookies using contoured royal icing transfers, each of which is individually airbrushed and then pieced together into a floral masterpiece. While this innovative project might look challenging, it is actually quite straightforward once Julia breaks it down in her typically detailed and methodical way. In addition to learning how to contour (or shape) royal icing to make it more lifelike, you’ll gather valuable lessons about several other techniques that can be applied to cookies of almost any design.
Once you’ve purchased, you’ll automatically receive a receipt with a link to a downloadable handout, including two recipes, sources, and extensive technique tips. Then, simply return to this page to view the tutorial as often and for as long as you like. The sneak peek video above will disappear and be replaced with the full-length video. Just remember to log into your account in order to view.
Skill Level: All, though particularly suited to those with some royal icing-piping experience
Video Format: Professionally filmed and edited in studio setting
Video Length: 39:05
What You’ll Learn (8 Techniques):
- Contoured and standard royal icing transfers, along with pros and cons of different substrates (parchment paper vs. acetate) for making royal icing transfers
- Modeling with royal icing putty (a term and technique pioneered by Julia)
- Precision-piping and perfect peak-free dot work
- Airbrushing, primarily for shading and lending depth and dimension (Julia covers precision-control airbrushing in other classes and tutorials)
- Rubber-stamping on cookies
- Rubber-stamping on wafer paper
- Airbrushing and stenciling on wafer paper
- Piecework assembly
What You’ll Receive:
- Forever-access to video recording on this site
- Detailed 26-page tutorial handout including:
- recipes for gingerbread and royal icing (with consistency adjustments for line work aka outlining, dot work, putty, gluing, and more)
- cookie and royal icing transfer quantities and dimensions
- supply list with online sources
- extensive technique tips
- poppy bud and leaf templates
- inspiration images
- Access to Julia via email or Superpeer for tutorial Q&A (at any time, though please allow 48 hours for a response)
Class Outline (Video Time Stamp):
- Project introduction (0:00 – 3:45)
- Cookie and tools overview (3:45 – 8:47)
- Piping and modeling contoured royal icing poppy parts, aka transfers (8:47 – 20:02)
- Airbrushing poppy parts (20:02 – 23:12)
- Stamping and airbrushing cookie background (23:12 – 26:16)
- Stenciling and stamping wafer paper messages (26:16 – 29:14)
- Assembling dimensional poppy flower (29:14 – 32:07)
- Assembling entire poppy plant on cookie (32:07 – 37:26)
- Closing remarks (37:26 – 39:05)
Video Production: Two 5:7 North, October 2020
Julia’s Return Policy: Due to the online nature of this tutorial, all sales are final.
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.