Spanning one hour and nearly 45 minutes, this video tutorial marks the first of the cookie decorating challenges in Julia’s Watch-Learn-Create series started in 2022 (and the 51st Cookie Connection challenge since the challenges began in 2014). In this first part of her two-part challenge kickoff video, Julia discusses how to formulate and handle dough for best results with 3-D cookies as well as four different ways to shape 3-D cookies, including everything from contouring to embossing and even modeling cookie dough by hand. She also begins the discussion of how to cover 3-D cookies with spraying (or airbrushing) and sponging techniques. The discussion of eight other methods for covering 3-D cookies continues in Part 2 of this tutorial, found in the “MORE LIKE THIS” section below (COMING SOON).
Once you’ve purchased, you’ll automatically receive a receipt with a link to a downloadable handout, including links to Julia’s gingerbread recipe, supplies, and supplemental (free) instructional videos. Then, simply return to this page to view the tutorial as often and for as long as you like. The thumbnail image above will disappear and be replaced with the full-length video. Just remember to log into your account in order to view.
Note: Though this challenge initially ran in 2022, the techniques taught in the video can be applied to 3-D cookies – and even sometimes to 2-D cookies – at any time. They are indeed nearly universally applicable. To see what challenge entrants made with these techniques, check out the Challenge #51 recap post on Cookie Connection for inspiration. And, if you have any questions about the tutorial, Julia can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skill Level: All, as Julia explains every aspect of shaping and covering 3-D cookies in great detail
Video Format: Recording of live Facebook demo by Julia; unedited
Video Length: 1:44:23
What You’ll Learn (~7 Techniques):
- Formulating and handling cookie dough for 3-D baking
- Four cookie dough-shaping methods:
- Embossed (and contoured embossed)
- Modeled (aka hand-shaped)
- Contoured (both hemispheres and half-cylinders)
- Two 3-D cookie-covering methods (eight others are covered in Part 2):
What You’ll Receive:
- Forever-access to video recording on this site
- Handout with resource list including:
- link to Julia’s gingerbread recipe formulated for 3-D baking
- supply list with online sources
- links to supplemental instructional videos on Julia’s YouTube channel
- Access to Julia via email or Superpeer for tutorial Q&A (at any time, though please allow 48 hours for a response)
Video Outline (Time Stamp):
- Countdown for Facebook Live (0:00 – 1:57; you’ll want to skip this part)
- Introduction of new Watch-Learn-Create challenge concept and thank-yous by Julia (1:58 – 6:00)
- Introduction of new challenge host, Manu Pezzopane, by Julia (6:01 – 9:42)
- Introduction of Challenge #51 by host Manu Pezzopane (9:43 – 13:16)
- Agenda overview by Julia (13:17 – 15:03; Julia’s demo begins here)
- Formulating dough for 3-D baking, including discussion of both process-related (handling) and recipe-related variables that impact results (15:04 – 34:50)
- Overview of four cookie dough-shaping methods (34:51 – 41:23)
- Shaping method #1: molding (41:24 – 49:09)
- Shaping method #2: embossing (49:10 – 1:00:48)
- Shaping method #3: modeling (1:00:49 – 1:07:24)
- Shaping method #4: contouring, including both hemispheres and half-cylinders (1:07:25 – 1:28:07)
- Introduction to 3-D cookie-covering methods, beginning with spraying/airbrushing and sponging (1:28:08 – 1:44:23; again, the other methods are covered in Part 2)
Julia’s Return Policy: Due to the online nature of this tutorial, all sales are final.
Video Production: Julia, via Facebook Live. Again, this class is a recording of a live online demo, so production value will vary throughout the video depending on internet conditions at the time. It is also unedited, complete with Julia’s “um”s and bloopers and fairly regular glitches in the host’s audio! However, Julia’s instructions, which comprise 99 percent of the video, are crystal clear throughout.
Class Recording, Guest Series
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.