In this tutorial, the kickoff demo for Cookie Connection‘s November 2023 Watch-Learn-Create Challenge #55, guest Carmen Urbano demonstrates how to add depth and dimension to cookies using mixed media, such as textured royal icing, molded fondant, edible lace, sugar beads, and various dusts. Combining lots of edible materials into a single cohesive cookie design can often be challenging. Who hasn’t had the experience of overdoing it?! But, in this video, Carmen uses the example of a ballerina cookie to expertly portray two harmonious and well-edited mixed media designs. She also provides useful tips for planning mixed media cookies and making and storing embellishments in advance.
Once you’ve purchased, you’ll automatically receive a receipt with a link to a downloadable resource list with links to Carmen’s key tools. Then, simply return to this page to view the tutorial as often and for as long as you like. The sneak peek video above will disappear and be replaced with the full-length video. Just remember to log into your account in order to view.
About this Guest: Born in Mexico and currently residing in San Diego, California, USA, Carmen Urbano is an award-winning cookie artist, international instructor, and owner of Inspirations by Carmen Urbano. She has received multiple awards, including first place in all four competition categories at CookieCon Orlando 2023, and first place in the Royal Icing category at Cake Artist International 2023. Recognized widely for helping to popularize dimensional royal icing and mixed media in the USA and Mexico, Carmen first grabbed the public’s attention at the San Diego Cake Show, where she won Best in Show and Innovative Cookie Artist awards in 2019. She has also been featured in Food Network Magazine and various international sugar art magazines. Carmen is passionate about traveling, teaching her unique cookie art that blends painting with mixed media, and inspiring students to think outside the box to create stunning edible masterpieces.
Notes: While this tutorial is designed to accompany the ongoing Cookie Connection Challenge #55, you needn’t enter the challenge to watch this video; everyone is able to learn from this terrific tutorial! However, if you choose to enter the challenge, you’ll have access to personalized support from Carmen throughout the challenge, as well as the chance to win one of three wonderful prizes given to randomly drawn challenge entrants. (Read more about the challenge and how to enter on Julia’s site Cookie Connection.) To encourage challenge participation, this tutorial is priced at the nominal fee of $5 through January 13, 2024, the end of the challenge. At that time, tutorial price will revert to its usual $30. That being said, now’s the time to take advantage of the best possible price on this tutorial regardless of whether you plan to enter the challenge!
If you have any questions about this tutorial or Carmen’s work, Carmen can be found on her site or Instagram. For other guest tutorials originally filmed for Cookie Connection challenges, check out the “MORE LIKE THIS” section below.
Skill Level: All, as the techniques covered are quite beginner-friendly, yet even advanced decorators will glean useful tips about mixed media design
Video Format: Recording of live demo by Carmen Urbano; unedited
Video Length: 1:34:18
What You’ll Learn (~6 Techniques)
- Mixed media design planning tips
- Easy application of dragées and nonpareils
- Dimensional piping with textured pastry tips
- Molded fondant embellishments
- Achieving added depth with luster, petal, and highlighter dusts
- Shaping and attaching edible lace
What You’ll Receive:
- Forever-access to video recording on this site
- Resource list with links to Carmen’s key tools used in this video
Video Outline (Time Stamp):
- Introduction of guest Carmen Urbano by host Manu Pezzopane (0:00 – 1:40)
- Additional background about Carmen (1:41 – 3:09)
- Overview of Carmen’s approach to mixed media cookies (3:10 – 5:09)
- Examples of Carmen’s mixed media cookies, plus explanation of media used on her purple fairy cookie (5:10 – 9:12)
- Introduction of mixed media ballerina cookie #1, plus explanation of why Carmen’s ballerina cookies were chosen for this challenge (9:13 – 11:24)
- Flooding tutu bodice and piping slipper straps on ballerina cookie #1, plus adding nonpareils (demo begins; 11:25 – 17:27)
- Piping hair on ballerina cookie #1, plus adding molded fondant crown (17:28 – 19:19)
- Enhancing fondant embellishments with edible glitter and highlighter/luster/petal dust (19:20 – 26:59)
- Planning embellishment placement on media-rich areas, such as the tutu skirt on ballerina cookie #1 (27:00 – 29:27)
- Flooding tutu skirt on ballerina cookie #1, plus adding fondant embellishments and pearls (29:28 – 36:59)
- Decorating slippers on ballerina cookie #1, plus adding dust accents (37:00 – 47:17)
- Introduction of mixed media ballerina cookie #2 with additional edible lace embellishments (47:18 – 48:09)
- Flooding tutu bodice of ballerina cookie #2, plus adding sugar bead necklace (48:10 – 53:07)
- Piping hair on ballerina cookie #2, plus adding ear and sugar bead earring and crown (53:08 – 57:20)
- Adding edible lace skirt ruffle and sleeve to ballerina cookie #2, plus decorating skirt in same manner as cookie #1 (57:21 – 1:16:19)
- Decorating slippers on ballerina cookie #2, plus adding dust accents (1:16:20 – 1:21:18)
- Explanation of fondant molds used for ballerina cookies, plus review of embellishment collection and its use (demo ends; 1:21:19 – 1:27:46)
- Discussion of Challenge #55 rules and prizes, plus closing remarks (1:27:47 – 1:34:18)
Julia’s Return Policy: Due to the online nature of this tutorial, all sales are final.
Video Production: Carmen Urbano and host Manu Pezzopane, via ECamm Live. Again, this class is a recording of a live online demo, so production value will vary throughout the video depending on internet conditions at the time. It is also unedited, so there may be brief pauses as the guest gathers tools or cleans between demo steps.
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.