Julia made her first 3-D heart box cookie ages ago, back when she first started decorating, and the design remains a perennial favorite, not just for Valentine’s Day, but for engagement parties, weddings, Mother’s Day, and special birthdays. Early on, Julia painstakingly hand-cut the box sides and made do with mismatched heart cutters. But, thanks to her nine-piece Classic Heart cookie cutter set, part of her January 2023 Kitchen Club Collection, Julia now has all of the tools to make heart box cutting and construction a breeze. In this 2-hour video, Julia demonstrates how to pair cutters in this set with some of her most popular stencils to make two stunning floral heart boxes, Parisian Rose (a 5-inch box) and Magnificent Mum (a slightly larger 5 1/2-inch box), the tools for which are also packaged and sold as Kitchen Club kits. At the end of the video, Julia provides a few bonus tips, including how to make even smaller boxes and simple, stenciled message hearts to go inside. Not interested in making a 3-D box?! That’s perfectly fine, because all of the video instructions for making the box lids also apply to 2-D cookies.
Once you’ve purchased, you’ll automatically receive a receipt with a link to a downloadable handout, including three recipes, sources, and extensive technique tips. Then, simply return to this page to view the tutorial as often and for as long as you like. The sneak peek video above will disappear and be replaced with the full-length video. Just remember to log into your account in order to view.
For all of Julia’s companion products used in this video, see the “MORE LIKE THIS” links below or visit the Parisian Rose and Magnificent Mum project kit listings on her product partner Confection Couture Stencils’ site. The companion products are not included in the price of this tutorial, and can only be purchased on Julia’s partner’s site.
Skill Level: All, though particularly suited to those with some airbrushing experience
Video Format: Professionally filmed and edited in studio setting
Video Length: 1:58:06
What You’ll Learn (11+ Techniques):
- Cookie design with layered stencils
- Precision-control airbrushing and stenciling, particularly in multicolor stencil designs
- Airbrush shading
- Fondant appliqués, standard and contoured
- Royal icing roses (a quick 101 only)
- Modeling chocolate ribbons and bows
- Rolling and cutting 2-D cookies, to ensure uniform thickness and clean edges
- Franken-cookies (i.e., cookies altered with reductive or additive methods)
- 3-D sandwiched assembly
- 3-D cookie prep (i.e., filing, sanding, and use of Dremel tool)
- Fondant wraps, to cover 3-D box sides
What You’ll Receive:
- Forever-access to video recording on this site
- Detailed 37-page tutorial handout including:
- recipes for gingerbread, royal icing (with consistency adjustments for gluing, beadwork, and more), and modeling chocolate (both semisweet and white)
- supply list with online sources
- extensive airbrushing and stenciling technique tips
- other key technique tips related to these projects
- inspiration images, including several designs made with Julia’s Parisian Rose and Magnificent Mum Heart Box kits
- Access to Julia via email or Superpeer for tutorial Q&A (at any time, though please allow 48 hours for a response)
Class Outline (Video Time Stamp):
- Introduction (0:00 – 3:45)
- Tool and project design overview (3:46 – 19:21)
- Airbrushing/stenciling Parisian Rose box lid (19:22 – 31:03)
- Airbrushing/stenciling Magnificent Mum box lid (31:04 – 41:45)
- Crafting additional box-top embellishments: fondant appliqués, royal icing roses, and modeling chocolate ribbons and bows (41:46 – 1:16:37)
- Box lid assembly, both Parisian Rose and Magnificent Mum (1:16:38 – 1:24:05)
- Box side cutting and assembly, representative example of Parisian Rose box only (1:24:06 – 1:47:31)
- Airbrushing/stenciling simple message cookies to fill boxes (1:47:32 – 1:53:37)
- Other box sizes and styles, mum cookie sneak peek, and closing remarks (1:53:38 – 1:58:06)
Video Production: Two 5:7 North, August 2022
Julia’s Return Policy: Due to the online nature of this tutorial, all sales are final.
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
There are no reviews yet.